Question: Should I put my email address on my web page?
We recommend that you don't, unless you are absolutely sure that you don't mind hearing from anybody at any time by email.
Here are the tradeoffs:
Advantages of putting your email address on your website:
- It makes clear that you welcome messages from parents.
- It's a minor convenience for parents since they save a few clicks compared with using the School Loop message system.
- Parents can send you email attachments.
Disadvantages of putting your email address on your website:
- Putting email addresses on web pages can cause you to get junk mail ("spam") from unscrupulous advertisers who scan websites looking for email addresses.
- You don't need to put your email address on your website in order for parents to email you. You can tell them your email address privately, in paperwork you send home or by emailing them if you know their email address (after which they'll know yours). And parents can use the School Loop message system to send you messages that you'll receive by email.